CARAS and Slaight Tunes have announced the artists selected for the 2021/2022 Allan Slaight Juno Grasp Course program: Jesse Gold, Riell and Sebastian Gaskin. These rising musicians, picked by a Super Jury of songs business notables, will join Jhyve the 2021 winner of CBC’s once-a-year search to discover the next terrific Canadian artist, and acquire vital equipment to aid them turn into “Juno ready”. The 4 selected artists will participate in a hybrid digital and in-man or woman custom made mentorship 7 days in Toronto, from Oct. 18 – 22, in collaboration with Canada’s Music Incubator (CMI). The software is now in its 7th 12 months.
“My father, Allan, was a correct chief in championing Canadian artists, and I know that he would be happy of the aid this application proceeds to deliver rising talent in his honour.” said Gary Slaight, President & CEO, Slaight Communications. “We go on to see the good outcome this plan has on all the selected artists, and we’re thrilled to assistance foster this year’s class and bolster their profile in Canada and beyond.”
– Since it opened in 1981, The Cameron Residence has performed a essential role in Toronto’s tunes, theatre, and arts scene. On Saturday evening, it hosted a star-studded 40th anniversary celebration celebration showcasing some noteworthy artists from the halcyon days of the Queen West scene. Blue Rodeo showed its appreciation of the venue that aided give the band its start out by actively playing a set. Club co-owner/booker Cosmo Ferraro told FYI that “I failed to want to even check with them due to Covid etcetera., but they arrived at out to me and preferred to be part of the 40th. Extremely touching and generous of them.”
Lori Yates and the all-star team she fronts, Hey Stella (they have lengthy performed a residency listed here), also done, while Devin Cuddy led the house band, with several friends signing up for in, together with Sameer Income, Ferraro, Kayla Howran, Jack Marks, Patrick Brealey, Sam Polley, and Jamie Oliver (Major Tobacco & The Pickers). The 40th celebration truly lasted four times, with club typical Corin Raymond there on Thursday, John Borra Band and Devin Cuddy Band in on Friday, Cameron Household Singers actively playing an early present Saturday, and Kevin Quain closing it on Sunday. Ferraro tells us “we still haven’t completely prepared how to get again to ordinary here. We have begun to e book some specific demonstrates, so seem for Justin Rutledge, Doug Paisley, and extra dates coming shortly.” Read an before FYI profile of Cosmo Ferraro listed here
– SOCAN reviews that The Intercontinental Songwriting Competition (ISC) has released a new Highlight Award to be given annually to a music and its songwriter(s) from a nation other than the US. The inaugural award, presented by the ISC and SOCAN, will be presented in 2021 to a Canadian tune, and its songwriter(s). The winner will be chosen by ISC, and will be awarded a prize package including recording time at the Dim Horse Recording Studio in Franklin, TN, one 7 days of lodging at SOCAN Nashville Home, and a journey grant from the SOCAN Foundation.
The whole ISC contest is open up to the two professional and newbie songwriters. A complete of 71 winners in 23 style types share more than $225K in funds and prizes, which includes an in general Grand Prize of US $25K. Prior winners have bundled Jane Siberry, Sam Roberts, Tenille Townes, and The Trews. To understand more, click listed here to submit your music(s), click below.
– The Juno Submissions Obtain System Powered by TD is a new initiative designed to aid impartial Canadian artists from below-represented communities with the costs associated in publishing their get the job done in a solitary Juno category. Approved candidates will be reimbursed their submission fee. Extra info can be discovered here.
– On Oct. 21 at The Rose Theatre in Brampton, a substantial-calibre lineup performs at a fundraiser for the Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Fund. The checklist consists of Tom Wilson, Kevin Hearn (Barenaked Females), Josh Finlayson (Skydiggers), Logan Staats, Phil Davis, and much more. Info and tix in this article.
– The Make Songs Issue UnpluggedTogether series continues on Oct. 21 with a overall performance by ace people-rockers The Grievous Angels, led by rocker turned MP Charlie Angus. Also featured are Jimmy Bowskill (Sheepdogs) and MonkeyJunk’s Steve Marriner. Resources lifted via the reside-stream will help survivors of trauma in Congo and other spots of conflict. Tix ($15) right here
– Soon after being forced to cancel very last 12 months, the really-regarded Estonian Audio 7 days returns to Toronto this week. Around two evenings, Oct. 22 and 23, it presents 7 Estonian and Canadian artists. On Oct. 22, the Paradise Theatre hosts Kaili Kinnon, Estyr and Rita Ray, and the next night time, at the El Mocambo, features Beatrice Deer, Duo Ruut, Erik Laar and Väike Hellero & Pals. Extra data and tix listed here.
– Beny Esguerra and New Tradition Music have followed up their Juno-nominated A New Tradition Vol. 2: Return of the KUISi with an adventurous thought album, Northside KUISi, unveiled on Oct. 15 on Lulaworld Documents). The team has an eclectic audio and socially mindful messaging. Esguerra is also a finalist for a $10K Group Arts Award from the Toronto Arts Foundation, to be presented on Oct. 27.
– Country tunes singer/songwriter Kelly Prescott just lately signed with Warner Tunes Canada, and her debut solitary for the label, Trailer Trashed, is now out. The monitor has acquired her a location as a finalist at SiriusXM’s Leading of the Nation contest, and Prescott will complete as part of that showcase on Nov. 26 during the 2021 Canadian Place Music Awards 7 days.
Everett Morton, a British drummer and percussionist very best recognized as the drummer for the early 1980s ska band The Defeat, died on Oct. 8, age 71. No induce of dying has been described.
Originally from the West Indies (St. Kitts), Morton was identified for his distinctive drumming design that included syncopation and polyrhythm in a rock defeat. His reggae drumming assisted give The Defeat their distinctive sound.
Soon after The Conquer disbanded, Morton and Saxa formed The Global Conquer, who were being fronted by vocalist Tony Beet. The Worldwide Conquer continued through the 1990s. Morton reunited with Ranking Roger and they performed as The Beat in the British isles, until eventually Position Roger’s dying, in 2019. Supply: Wikipedia